WASHINGTON — President Obama said Saturday that he had learned only last week that Hillary Rodham Clinton used a private email system for her official correspondence while she was 1)secretary of state.
In an interview with Bill Plante of CBS News, Mr. Obama said the policy of his 2)administration was to “encourage transparency” and that he was pleased that Mrs. Clinton had instructed the State Department to 3)turn over her emails for archiving.
“My emails, the 4)Blackberry I 5)carry around , all those records are available and archived,” Mr. Obama said, according to 6)an excerpt from the interview 7)released Saturday evening. “I’m glad that Hillary’s instructed that those emails about official business 8)need to be disclosed.”
In the portion of the interview that was released, Mr. Obama did not 9)address how he could have avoided noticing that Mrs. Clinton was sending emails from a “clintonemail.com” address throughout the years she 10)served in his administration. Mrs. Clinton’s use of a private email system was first reported by The New York Times last week.
Asked how 11)Mrs. Clinton’s email practices 12)met the standards of transparency that he has repeatedly called for, Mr. Obama said that “the fact that she is going to be putting them forward will allow us to make sure that people have the information they need.”
White House officials have said in recent days that some in 13)the West Wing were aware that Mrs. Clinton was not using an official “state.gov” email address for official correspondence. Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, has repeatedly said the guidance from administration lawyers is that employees should use their government-issued email addresses for their official business.
But the White House 14)has refused to say whether they believe that Mrs. Clinton violated any administration policies or broke any laws by 15)conducting all of her business with a private email address.
The issue of Mrs. Clinton’s email usage 16)comes as she is preparing to 17)launch a second 18)bid for the presidency in the coming weeks. 19)In an effort to 20)put the criticism behind her, Mrs. Clinton 21)posted on Twitter on Wednesday that she wanted all of her emails released. “I want the public to see my email. I asked State to release them. They said they will review them for release as soon as possible,” Mrs. Clinton said.
1) secretary of state(=secretary of state): (미국) 국무장관. Cf.> State Department (미국) 국무부
2) Administration: 미국의 행정부(the executive branch). 이 기사에 따르면 오바바 정부는 “투명성을 장려(encourage transparency)”하는 정책을 실시하고 있다.
3) turn over for archiving: ‘문서기록 보존을 위해(archiving) 자신[힐러리]의 이메일을 넘겨주다’. 여기서 turn over는 전달하다, 넘겨주다(deliver)의 의미로 사용되었다.
4) Blackberry: 캐나다 통신기기 제조업체인 블랙베리사가 발매한 스마트폰으로 오바마 미국 대통령이 이 블랙베리사 휴대폰을 여전히 사용중인 것으로 알려져 있다.
5) carry around: 들고 다니다, 휴대하다
6) an excerpt from released Sunday evening: ‘토요일 저녁에 발표된(released) 인터뷰에서 뽑아낸 발췌(인용)’, excerpt는 전체 인터뷰에서 필요하거나 중요한 부분을 뽑아낸 것을 말한다.
7) release: (대중들에게) 공개(발표) 하다(make public)
8) need to be disclosed: ‘공개되어야 한다.’ disclose는 이전에 감춰져 있던 정보를 공개하다, 밝히다(to make information known)의 의미이다.
9) address:‘(누구에게 직접) 말을 하다
10) served in his administration: ‘오바바 행정부에서 일했다.’ serve는 ‘(어떤 사람, 조직, 국가를 위해) 일하다’의 의미로 힐러리는 국무부에서 4년(2009년 1월 21일~2013년 2월1일)간 근무했다.
11) Mrs. Clinton’s email practices: ‘힐러리 클린튼의 이메일 업무’ 여기서 practices는 전문직 종사자의 업무(official business)를 말한다.
12) meet: ‘충족시키다(satisfy)’
13) The West Wing: 미국 대통령 집무실(Oval Office)과 대통령 참모진들의 사무실이 있는 백악관 서쪽 건물을 지칭하는 용어이며 같은 제목의 미국드라마가 제작 방영된 적이 있다.
14) has refused to say whether they believe that~ :‘[백악관이] 믿고 있는지의 여부를 언급하지 않았다’
15) conduct: (특정한 활동을) 하다, 수행하다
16) comes: (어떤 일이) 일어나다, 생겨나다(occur, happen)의 의미로 사용되었다.
17) launch: 어떤 일을 시작하다(start an activity)
18) bid: (출마)시도(an attempt to attain power)
19) In an effort to do: ~해보려는 노력으로
20) put something behind one: ‘불쾌한 경험에서 벗어나거나 부정적인 감정을 극복하다’
21) post: ‘웹사이트에 정보, 사진등을 올리다(public on online)’.
By MICHALE D. SHEAR
Published: March 7, 2015
Source: The Newyork Times< Copyright © The Gachon Herald All rights reserved >